Fresh out of the oven or popped in the microwave, these cookies have a crumbly exterior and soft, cake-like innards. Instant grits provide a cornbread-like nuttiness and crunch to contrast with gooey chunks of chocolate. Vegan.
chocolate chunk “cornbread” cookies
yields approximately 12 cookies
adapted from chocolate cherry granola cookies from bella eats
* 3/4 cup maple syrup
* 6 Tbsp melted butter
* 1 + 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
* 1 3 oz chocolate bar, chopped (I used Scharffen Berger 62% dark)
1. Preheat oven to 350*F. Position the oven racks so that they are in the center and top third of the oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (substitute with aluminum foil + spray oil).
2. Sift dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Make a well in the center.
3. In another bowl, combine wet ingredients. Pour into the well in the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix well. In battles of wooden vs. regular spoon, wooden ALWAYS wins for cookie dough. I learned this the hard way…
4. Mix the chocolate chips into the dough.
5. Cover and refrigerate cookie dough mixture for about 1 hour. Because of this article, I refrigerated mine for almost 24 hours, forgetting that since there are no eggs in this recipe, my efforts towards a “perfect cookie” were futile. Oh well. The dough came out harder than I would’ve liked, but nothing a little hands-on action couldn’t handle. ;)
6. Roll the cookie dough into ~5 Tbsp balls and line on the baking sheet, spaced about 2 inches apart (precaution).